Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Top Notch is Alright Times Three

It was Pi day and thankfully we found a burger place that recognized the significance of 3/14.  In other news, Top Notch burgers was a no-brainer for us.  This is a world famous burger joint made so by the Movie Dazed and Confused.  It was on this spot in 1993 where Oscar winner Matthew McConaughey (that still sounds funny) started his movie career.  Perhaps one of the burger judges will now follow in his footsteps.  Alright, Alright, Alright!









Here's what the team has to say about Top Notch:

Judge #1: I ordered a cheeseburger and tater tots, and had a taste of the sweet potato fries and cherry pie. The burger was just OK -- if I was in the area at lunchtime I might go, but I won't be making a special effort to go back. The patty was dry and bland and the bun was just OK. I did like the tater tots, sweet potato fries, and the pie. The service was excellent and very friendly.

Judge #2: I ordered the cheeseburger with bacon.  Nice flavor and an overall good burger but not one I would go out of my way to have again.  I did love the sweet potato fries, those I would go back for.  Overall a nice place if you happen to be in the area.
Judge #3: ​Decent burger, but the bacon made it good (crispy, good patty coverage - not just two sringy bits laid as an X).  I opted for tator tots even though I wasn't REALLY in a tot mood, but they were as perfect as tots can get.  Had one onion ring that was perfect, had a bite of good ole fried pie.  Staff was nice and chummy without being overly fake.  The 70's vibe did nothing for me but it was decently shabby.  May not go out of my way to go there again, but definately will look to go again.

Judge #4: I liked the environment a lot, but thought the burger itself wan't that great. Very middle of the road. I was initially excited by the thought of tator tots and even ordered some friend okra. Theyw ere both alos pretty middle of the road, not bad but not very good. I tried a few onion rings, though, and they were really good. I'd go back for the onion rings and get a BLT next time. Roy had one and it looked yummy. He confirmed that it was.​

Judge #5: This burger really surprised me.  I'll admit that I didn't have the highest expectations going in to Top Notch.  I had been there once before and it was not that memorable.  This time, it was an entirely different story.  The burger, was tasty.  Just enough garnish and mayo, and the bacon... oh my that bacon was amazing.  I LOVE grilled burgers.  Now, the sides.  Normally a good side of fries is all I need.  The sides at Top Notch really are the best thing about this place.  I had Tator Tots, Onion Rings, Fried Okra, and a Fried Cherry Pie in honor of Pi day.  All of these were excellent.  The environment as well scored super high for me.  The 70's decor brought back childhood memories and the people working here were the nicest people.  Thank you for making my visit so wonderful.  This place will become a regular stop for sure.​

Judge #6: ​First time participation in a BC outing may have colored my initial impression.  Caught up in the buzz as a rookie voting member, I had a really good time and enjoyed my burger quite a bit.   Upon reflection, I remember the earth tone decor, the delectable onion rings and the chipper boardering on saccharine service moreso than the burger itself.  There was nothing wrong with it, but also nothing that makes me likely to recommend it or plan a return visit, on the strength of the burger alone.  

Judge #7: This burger was as good as Meh gets.  First bite reminded me a lot of Mighty Fine, but I think I was just really effing hungry.  The 2nd and subsequent bites were OK to meh to it's not necessary to finish this.  The Okrie (which is the only correct way to say Okra) was decent, the other sides palatable.  The Fried Pies were LA BOMBA!  Normally, I'm a little too classy a gal to lower myself to such, but since it was Pi day and all and also because I didn't pay for it myself, I said what the hell?  It was flaky, and gooey, and oh so heavenly.  Definitely the best part of my gustatory experience in this establishment.  The Environment score got extra extra points for the original and dusty vintage decor, and the sweet sweet little thing taking my order. I wanted to put the darling fry cook in my pocket and take him shopping. Wait for me boys!  Men's room was clean and functional. 

Judge #8: ​I had the double meat bacon burger and it was pretty good. Tots were pretty good. I like this place because it seems uniquely Crestview, a 1950s neighborhood. Top Notch is sorta like Alaska. I like knowing it's there, but may not ever go there (that much).




Average Score: 73.56

No comments:

Post a Comment